Tabs

Friday, March 18, 2011

Humble Parenting

The Mompetition: Before I was a mom: "I'd never sacrifice my dignity for a toddler chuckle.-Sent in by SHL 'I'm boxman oooo, now gimme some candy!'(am I showing my age by using ..."

Humble Parenting

Ah, parenthood. The great leveller. You can be CEO of a major corporation or a cashier at Woolies, once you become a parent you take the hand you're dealt. I've done 4am starts to fly out for a days' training - then gone home that night around 11am, snatching some sleep before working the next day. You can do all this with a facade of make-up, professionalism and competence and no-one will be any the wiser that you are purely running on adrenaline and caffeine, anticipating a hot bath and airport nandos to take the edge off your exhaustion. Full-time Parenthood is another beast altogether.

Today, all I had to do was put 5 frozen pizzas in a pre-heated oven and take them out and slice for 8 primary school age kids. I got through 2 of them before E decided that she would not be on the floor, or in her pram but MUST reside in mummy's arms. Quite aside the fact that I had a yucky virus that made my muscles and joints ache, I couldn't get pizzas in and out of the oven with a child tucked under one arm. I had the can the whole operation and get my teething bubba home. Competence and professionalism crumbles when I hear that my baby needs me. The most humbling and yet the most delighting part of it is that when she looks up from feeding and smiles, touching my mouth with her little index finger, I am paid in full and I will do it all again tomorrow.