Tabs

Monday, November 21, 2011

If you had told me...

Regularly I have this running commentary in my 'If you had told me that I would be this tired/happy/annoyed/overwhelmed/calm when my toddler started walking/ignoring me when Nana was around/playing completely independently for half an hour at a stretch/falling over and scraping her hands etc and so forth.

I rehearse it but generally I am so busy I don't get to share it with anyone.

I am watching my toddler riding her toy car, barefoot, on my parent's deck. She tells me when she hears a bee, she gets excited when she hears a bird chirping. She runs in and out but is otherwise completely engaged as she moves between the deck swing, the tea party table with her dollies, and the car.

So here I am, writing a blog post, while my daughter is AWAKE! So it seems there is a freedom for both of us, a calm enjoyment where we are not joined at the hip for whole half hours.

Soon, though, the cycle will start again, in about 6 months I will have another small person who needs to traverse learning to breastfeed, sit up, bring up wind, eat solids, learn to crawl, cruise and walk and then be attached to my side and be greatly distressed when I leave them.

I am looking forward to it :)