Tabs

Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Separation Anxiety

Storing all these things up in her heart
So this post is about separation anxiety, the weird thing is, I think feel it more than Evangeline! Sometimes I find myself watching her play with her new tooth or doing an unexpectedly coordinated 'victory dance' in her highchair - then it strikes me...
My baby is going to grow up, and go to uni and work and maybe get married and maybe live in a country away from me - perhaps even die before me. Perhaps, worst of all, she may never know Christ - which would be the worst grief of all.

No marriage in heaven?
That thought gives way to another, in that Jesus said that in heaven, people will neither marry nor be given in marriage. In that case, I suppose there is also no procreation? How can that be?
Perhaps, as the 'teacher' said in Ecclesiastes, there is a time for every activity under heaven. Is marriage a temporary institution to illustrate Christ's sacrifice on the Cross? Also, the church's submission to Christ? What about children? are they meant to tug and break our hearts to show how God has suffered at our turning away?

If my finite love for my child fills me to bursting point sometimes, how must God love us?! Need I even ask when he willingly gave His own Son for us in a way that completely washes us clean of our turning away and teenage style rebellion?

As Cowper wrote - 'and sinners plunged beneath that flood lose all their guilty stains'.