Tabs

Wednesday, October 27, 2010

God made YOU Special

I started playing the 'Veggietales' - 'God made you Special' CD for Evangeline recently. Thought it would be annoying but a nice change from Nursery Rhymes. To my surprise I started crying halfway through the title track 'God made you special'.

When I turned 5 years old my mother shared her faith with me. It was along the lines of "God is there and he hears you when you pray to Him'. I was very excited by this and started praying to him every night. I remember looking down from my bunk bed and telling him all about my day. I had a sense that I was heard and listened to with love.

What made me cry about the veggietales song was that I realised I had forgotten that God made me special. I didn't get told ( or perhaps I didn't understand) about creation and sin then redemption and grace. I think it hit me when I was about 7 years old that I was NOT special. Bullying was rife at my Catholic primary school and I did not know that God was my advocate and the one who loved me despite this.

I pray that Evangeline can know His great love for her. I love this song because it affirms God's creation and power and the intentional way he made us all. I long for Evangeline to never feel that doubt about her worth as a human being created in God's image. Then, when she understands her own sin I pray that she can have great assurance that Christ accepts her despite her sin and that She has His constant strength and comfort in His Holy Spirit.

Every night I pray that God will make her aware of His presence and that she will know great safety and confidence even as she grows to understand the world's corruption and pain and the devastation of sin. I pray that she accepts Christ and knows his company and presence when she is frightened and alone.

Than God for Phil Vischer and Veggie Tales - they are so funny too!