Tabs

Monday, October 01, 2007

Smurfing the feminine




When I was little I loved the smurfs. Me and my two brothers used to watch them after school every day.



My favourite episode was the one where Gargamel made a smurfette to try and trick the previously all male smurfs.


At first she was blobby and ugly, because the baddy made her, but Papa Smurf knew she was a nice girl with sensitive nature, and made her beautiful.


For the only girl sibling in a very boy oriented household, playing games in the dirt and riding bikes, this was very special for me. I loved the Smurfette. She seemed to epitomise to me everything feminine.



Of course, my ideas of what is feminine are a bit different now!



But what does everything is the essence of what is “feminine”? What makes someone feminine?