Tabs

Monday, August 03, 2009

Naturopathic Evangelism


It sounds like the new type of eco-warrior evangelism, what is your "evangelism footprint"?

Perhaps it conjures up ideas of "green gospeling" where you only talk about your faith in Jesus while wearing hemp and smelling like patchouli?

The real story is that after being sick with the same issues for nearly three years I got jack of the traditional conveyer belt of 15 minute consultations and meds that treat symptoms rather than causes and went to a naturopathic clinic to give it a go.


I have been really blessed by it in two ways:

1) wholistic care -

I get asked when the problems started, why I think it started and asked about my sleep, energy and other symptoms that previously weren't really considered. I have a herbal tincture and a tea that I really think is dealing with the symptoms - and a strict (almost macrobiotic) diet to hopefully kick the cause. I actually do feel better.

2) The whole person vibe -

In the waiting room, people want to talk. They are there either because they already believe in "all this stuff" or because they are going out on a limb. People want to tell their stories and know my story. I get out my bible to read and people have asked me if thats a bible - which leads to asking if they have ever read it.

I like naturopathy not just for the philosophy of the whole person care - but also for the frame of mind it seems to put people in - my faith is an essentail part of me to be shared as part of my healing, not something that is offensive and to be kept "out".