Tabs

Sunday, September 16, 2007

Who is the "Lazarus" at your gate?


I just spent a weekend away on a "parish camp", on the topic of "contentment". Being a huge fan of "The Rare Jewel of Chrsitain Contentment", like Stine. I was ready for some puritan action.

I was also ready for some phillipians 4:10-13 action.

I was suprised and wonderfully challenged to find that the speaker Mike Raiter ( reasons why Mike is a huge blessing to Melb below) was challenging us from the gospels on our attitude to our God-given money and how we use it.

In the gospel of Luke, there is a parable. Lazarus, a beggar, who sat at the gate of a rich man's house - had nothing - no health - no money - no friends. The rich man, had everything - ate like you or I do at Christmas daily - had prestige and a beautiful place to live, probably haging out with jewish officials and received praise for his life.

When he died and was in "torment", the rich man, who had never helped Lazarus, asked "Father Abraham" to send Lazarus to help him...

Now there are many things we learned from this weekend, but one thing that touched me was the question "Who is the Lazarus at your gate" - they were both Jews, had "abraham as their father" - so is the equivalent christians? I'd be interested to hear what people have to say.

I think that for us Australian christians, once we have cared for those in need in our church community and in our state and country - we need to help the persecuted and poverty stricken church. Luke and I love to give to Barnabus for the wholistic way they care for God's church.

Why we were blessed by Mike Raiter

1. He has a reverent view of scripture
2. He is the sort of preacher who provides guidance and challenge from the pulpit as well as over coffee
3. He's very warm and personable - passionate and self-disclosing
4. He has some expertise in Islam - having spent 11+ years working in pakistan in a bible college.
5. His name sounds like "My Grater".
6. He tells some great stories in a very engaging way ( most melbourne anglicans can only cope with 15-twenty minutes sermons) pushing forty minutes with hardly a congregational wriggle.

Here is a sample - (it's not his best but all I could find online)
Here is series of his.

Sermon fans please let me know what you think.