Tabs

Monday, June 26, 2006

The Other Side




Should we take sides as Christians??


I ask because I'm remembering an event that happened when I was working as a ministry apprentice.

A girl ( lets call her Bev) who I spent substantial time with told me about a feud, between herself and another girl (we'd call her Deirdre). From what I gathered, Bev was assigned responsibility for the friendship breakdown and many people kept telling her to forgive and to make up.

From my position it seemed like people were taking sides and that Deirdre was not necessarily reliable. To my mind, Bev was the more reliable and graceful person in her dealings with others. I know her even better now and can say that her personality is inconsistent with the way Deirdre accused her of acting...

Even before I knew the full situation, I decided to take Bev's side. For one thing, no-one else was, and I wanted to support her. I didn't let my position affect how I treated Deirdre, and my activities meant I spent more time with Bev.



In the end, Bev and I grew extremely close and although I was "mentoring" her, we now remain good friends who share equal footing.




But should I have taken sides??


Should I have remained indifferent?

Could we have built such a good relationship of trust and love if I had remained 'indifferent'?



Was it wrong?


What does everyone else think?